Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Discernment & Decisions & Questions

This post has been on my mind almost constantly for the better part of two months, but in looking and thinking back, it has been residing in me for quite some time.

I make decisions all day at work. Is this home appropriate; is this placement safe; what's the right response in this situation; prioritizing issues and tasks... all. day. I'm responsible for other people and their decisions - and for the people those people are responsible for, too. At work, I consider myself a very decisive person. I'm good at making decisions under pressure. I'm good at discerning what needs to happen in situations.

When I come home, I don't want to make decisions. I don't want to decide what to have for dinner or where to go or which load of laundry to do. (My friends will tell you that I do not make food-related decisions... ever.)

One decision I have made recently is that I don't WANT to be a non-decision-maker in my personal life. I don't want to sit by while life happens around or to me. So on my journey of writing and discovering and figuring out my wants and needs and whys - this is something I'm actively working on.

One challenge I didn't anticipate is that discernment is really hard sometimes. How do I know if something is what *I* want or if it is actually the right thing for me? How do you make a hard decision knowing it is painful (for yourself or others), but right? What role do dreams play in guiding us in making decisions? I recently asked a friend - do you think God speaks to us through dreams? If dreams do play a role in guiding us in decision-making, what if there are factors - other people or situations - involved? We obviously can't control others based on a dream and many situations are influenced by external factors.

I don't have all (honestly, I don't any) answers to these questions, so please comment if you have thoughts. The more I think about writing and consistently using this blog, the more I feel it's going to involve a lot of questions that I'd love feedback on.

#discernment #selfdiscovery

No comments:

Post a Comment